Thurber Engineering Ltd. provides environmental, geotechnical, and materials engineering and testing services. With more than 60 years of experience, we are consistently recognized for the quality of our work, our people and for conducting our business with integrity. Thurber remains a privately owned specialist engineering firm focused on servicing the Canadian market.
Our Calgary office is seeking an intermediate-senior level Geotechnical/Geological Engineer or Geoscientist specializing in terrain and geohazard assessment. Experience with the assessment of metal leaching and acid rock drainage (ML/ARD) would be a significant asset.
- Work as part of an interdisciplinary team to manage projects and conduct both office and field-based terrain and geological hazard assessments.
- Assessment of the potential of bedrock to generate ML/ARD.
- Preparation of client reports, technical documentation, progress reports, project scheduling / resourcing, and meeting project deadlines and budgets.
- Scoping projects and assisting in the preparation of proposals, cost estimates and tender submissions.
- Establishing, developing, promoting and maintaining relationships with clients.
- Active participation in project field work as dictated by the needs of the project to meet client expectations and project objectives.
- Completion of a post-secondary program in Geological Engineering or Geoscience. Graduate Degree preferred although not required with commensurate experience;
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in Geological or Geotechnical Engineering or Geoscience. Local Canadian experience strongly preferred;
- Strong understanding of the geomorphology of Western Canada and the identification of associated landforms, glacial and surficial geology and geological hazards;
- Able to conduct desktop and field-level terrain assessments with demonstrated experience in the interpretation and mapping of terrain and geohazard potential utilizing aerial photographs and/or LiDAR-based imagery;
- Preferred completion of the Bulkley Valley Research Centre ML/ARD Field School or similar educational program or related geochemical experience. Knowledge regarding rock and mineral identification would be an asset.
- Pipeline project experience with familiarity of pipeline construction methods preferred;
- Familiar with geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring of geohazards;
- Class 5 Drivers license;
- Comfortable driving mid to full-sized pickup trucks in urban, rural, and construction environments;
- Comfortable working in a variety of environments, including local and remote site work involving traversing rough forested terrain;
- Proficiency with spoken and written English language is required;
- Eligible for membership with EGBC and/or APEGA;
- Experience with the use of commercial analytical software packages in the assessment of slope stability would be an asset.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong computer skills (i.e. spreadsheet and word-processing); and,
- Ability to work independently and cooperate with a team in various work environments.
- Criminal Record Check may be conducted;
- Drug and alcohol testing may be required prior to accessing client sites; and,
- 3 Year Driver’s Abstract and a Claims Experience Letter will be requested;
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation packages;
- A flat management structure with easy access to senior engineers and technical leaders within the firm;
- An opportunity for a rewarding career with an established and successful specialist independent company;
- A casual but professional office environment; and,
- We are committed to continuing professional development and technical excellence.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to us by clicking “Apply” below. No phone calls please.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest in working with us; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.